Leonardo DiCaprio, Trump talk climate change

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/08/politics/leonardo-dicaprio-trump-climate-change-meeting/index.html

(CNN) Leonardo DiCaprio met with President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday to discuss climate change — adding to the mixed signals from the President-elect on the environment.

“We presented the President-elect and his advisors with a framework … that details how to unleash a major economic revival across the United States that is centered on investments in sustainable infrastructure,” Terry Tamminen, CEO of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, said in a statement. “Our conversation focused on how to create millions of secure, American jobs in the construction and operation of commercial and residential clean, renewable energy generation.
DiCaprio’s meeting with Trump only added to the mixed messages coming out of Trump Tower, particularly on the issue of climate change.
On the same day of his meeting with DiCaprio, Trump tapped Oklahoma attorney general Scott Pruitt — a climate change denier — to head the Environmental Protection Agency. Pruitt is an opponent of many of the Obama EPA’s environmental regulations, and sued the agency over its regulations of power plants in his capacity as attorney general.
Coupled with Trump’s own history of climate change skepticism, environmentalists see dim prospects for action that scientists say is necessary to avert the most devastating consequences of climate change. Trump has called climate change a “hoax” but in a recent interview allowed for the possibility that human activity may be contributing to global warming.
Trump held a separate meeting this week with another high-profile environmental activist — former Vice President Al Gore, who has also championed the fight against climate change in his career after politics.
DiCaprio has used his celebrity to champion environmental causes. He emphasized the threat of climate change in his 2016 Academy Awards acceptance speech — “Climate change is real, it is happening right now,” he said — and produced a documentary on the subject, titled “Before the Flood,” which was released this year. According to “The Independent,” DiCaprio gave Ivanka Trump a copy of the documentary at the meeting.
The statement from his foundation added that “climate change is bigger than politics, and the disastrous effects on our planet and our civilization will continue regardless of what party holds majorities in Congress or occupies the White House.”
And according to the foundation, there may be another meeting.
“The President-elect expressed his desire for a follow up meeting in January, and we look forward to continuing the conversation with the incoming administration as we work to stop the dangerous march of climate change, while putting millions of people to work at the same time,” Tamminen said in the statement.
The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment on the DiCaprio meeting.
How drastic might Trump’s climate change policy changes be? A report released in Novemberby the International Energy Agency (IEA) outlines two key scenarios for emissions and global warming in the coming decades.
The first scenario assumes world leaders keep the promises made in Paris last year at the United Nation’s COP21 summit. The agreement between more than 175 countries introduced environmentally friendly policies to slow the increase in emissions and global warming.
The second scenario assumes no real action is taken and agreements are brushed aside, resulting in a 36% surge in carbon dioxide emissions by 2040, nearly three times the increase expected under the first scenario. While that would be a nightmare for environmentalists, it’s unlikely that all Paris signatories would abandon their pledges.
Still, according to a recent United Nations Environment report, the world is still heading for a temperature rise of 2.9 to 3.4 degrees Celsius this century, even with the Paris pledges.

Kangaroo puncher keeps zoo job despite animal rights group complaints

http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/kangaroo-puncher-keeps-zoo-job-despite-animal-rights-group-complaints-2016120707

Paul Henry

An Australian man caught on camera punching a kangaroo in the face has been criticised for his actions, after it was revealed he is a zookeeper.

Greig ‘Goo’ Tonkins became an internet star after the clip came to light, which shows him rescuing his dog Max from a kangaroo’s headlock by firing a brutal right hook at its snout.

The footage was filmed in Euabalong, New South Wales back in June during a boar-hunting trip for a friend with terminal cancer who has since died.

After the video was shared around the world, animal rights groups condemned Mr Tonkins’ actions.

They’re calling for him to lose his job as an elephant keeper at Western Plains Zoo in New South Wales.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) told Australian Regional Media that Mr Tonkins should not be “made out to be a national hero”, but rather prosecuted.

“Punching a kangaroo in the face is neither brave nor funny,” the group said.

Mr Tonkins also drew derision from the Humane Society International Australia, who said their efforts to rescue circus elephants in India is undermined if “we can’t even look after our own species here”.

“It is very disturbing of someone of this character has a position [at Western Plains Zoo]. They would have no trouble filling it with someone who respects animals,” they said.

The zoo disagrees, however, and says Mr Tonkins’ job is safe.

“Mr Tonkins is an experienced zookeeper and during his six years at Taronga Western Plains Zoo has always followed Taronga’s best practice approach to animal care and welfare,” said a zoo spokesperson.

“We continue to work with Mr Tonkins on his conduct in regards to this incident.”

Matthew Amor, a friend of Mr Tonkins’ who also attended the hunting trip, said their deceased mate “would be looking down from up there [heaven] and laughing” at the media furore.

“It was funny because [Mr Tonkins] is the most placid bloke. We laughed at him for chucking such a s**t punch,” Mr Amor told news.com.au.

Newshub.

Glacier Bay Monitoring Program reveals possible Blob related temperature effects later than other areas in the Gulf of Alaska

aooscjanzen's avatarAlaska “Blob” Tracker

“…..Glacier Bay didn’t strongly “feel” The Blob in the first couple summers after its onset (2014-2015). But last year’s El Nino seems to have exacerbated ocean warming, and at least in the main lower trunk of Glacier Bay mid-summer water temperatures have been significantly warmer in 2016.”

For more on this story, visit NPS Glacier Bay.

View original post

One By One, the Flood Gates of Antarctica are Breaking Open

robertscribbler's avatarrobertscribbler

“We have still time to avoid the worst of it, but we have already opened a number of flood gates, one in West Antarctica, and several in Greenland.”Dr Eric Rignot.

“This kind of rifting behavior provides another mechanism for rapid retreat of these glaciers, adding to the probability that we may see significant collapse of West Antarctica in our lifetimes.” Ian Howat, Earth Sciences associate Professor at Ohio State University.

“Burning all the world’s coal, oil and gas would melt the entire Antarctic ice-sheet and cause the oceans to rise by over 50m, a transformation unprecedented in human history. The conclusion of a new scientific study shows that, over the course of centuries, land currently inhabited by a billion people would be lost below water.” — The Guardian.

*****

Massive Rift Forming in Larsen C

Larsen C. It’s the next big ice shelf on the…

View original post 1,152 more words

Man dies in apparent fall from tree stand while hunting in Grundy County

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/dec/06/mdies-tree-stand-fall-while-hunting-grundy/401452/

A Tracy City, Tenn., man died Saturday in an apparent fall from a tree stand while hunting near his home.

Family members found Michael “Moty” Nunley dead at the bottom of his tree stand about midday Saturday after he failed to come home, Grundy County Sheriff Clint Shrum said Monday. The fall happened near Clouse Hill Road, northwest of Tracy City.

Nunley was an avid hunter, said Shrum, who knew him personally. Nunley was the father of two children and worked for the Tennessee Department of Transportation, the sheriff said.

“Everybody knew him as ‘Moty.’ He was from a good family,” Shrum said. “It was just a tragic accident.”

Shrum said it appeared the fall happened when Nunley was finished hunting for the day. Nunley had driven his four-wheeler to the tree stand, which was older and consisted of a ladder and platform, Shrum said.

“He had already lowered his weapon to the ground. It appears that he fell out of the stand trying to come down the stand,” the sheriff said.

Family members knew something was wrong when Nunley didn’t return from the woods to eat breakfast with his mother, his routine during hunting season, Shrum said.

“He lost his footing or his hold and landed on his back,” Shrum said. Nunley landed on his gun when he hit the ground, but it didn’t discharge.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officials said there have been two tree stand accidents this season in the agency’s Region 3, which comprises most of the counties in Southeast Tennessee.

The other accident happened around Nov. 20 in Sequatchie County.

Cleveland, Tenn., resident Steve Wilson, 44, was found dead at the bottom of his tree stand on a remote tract of property on Lewis Chapel Mountain, said Sequatchie County Sheriff Ronnie Hitchcock. Wilson had been hunting on private property that was being leased for hunting and had “signed in” on a specific tract, which gave emergency crews a good idea where to look. Authorities said they believed Wilson to be an experienced hunter.

TWRA spokeswoman Mime Barnes said it’s important that hunters take all recommended precautions when using tree stands.

“The No. 1 thing hunters can do to be safe in tree stands is wear a safety harness,” Barnes said. “They should also follow the safety instructions for their particular brand of tree stand and let someone know their plans for their hunt.”

Hunting season is still open, so it’s important for hunters to remain vigilant about safety, Barnes said.

Deer hunting gun season — as well as archery and muzzle-loader seasons — are open now until Jan. 8, she said.

Hunter finds friendly deer wearing orange scarf for hunting

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Hunter-finds-deer-wearing-404747255.html

On the day after Thanksgiving, Brian Powers grabbed his rifle and headed for some land east of Wausau. If not for his cell phone, Powers doubts anyone would believe what happened next. “All of a sudden here comes a deer and he has an orange scarf on. And he just kept walking and I said ‘oh my, he must be somebody’s pet or being fed by someone or being taken care of by somebody.” The color orange is commonly used to alert hunters not to shoot.

It wouldn’t be long before powers discovered he had a new friend. “Right when he got parallel on the logging road to where I was off the road, he stopped and turned and looked right at me and I said, ‘wow this is unbelievable,’ so then I called him over and he walked right in.”

With one hand filming the unlikely encounter, Powers gave the young buck a head rub. After about 10 minutes, the deer wandered off, but that afternoon as Powers was walking out of the woods, he returned, just in time to receive some friendly advice. “Keep your head low man, make sure people see that orange alright,” Powers said to the deer in his video recording. Since posting his video on Youtube, Powers story has spread all over the country.

17-year-old accidentally kills friend he mistook for deer during hunting trip

CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Va. (WSET) – A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed by a friend in a hunting accident late Friday afternoon, according to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF).

The game commission says the incident happened on private property on Mt. Carmel Road in Charlotte County around 5:20 p.m.

VDGIF says a 17-year-old boy was hunting and mistook his 16-year-old friend, who was hunting with him, for a deer. The 16-year-old died at the scene.

The Va. Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries says the teen was mistaken for a deer. http://spr.ly/60128J0RQ 

Photo published for 16-year-old dead after hunting accident in Charlotte Co.

16-year-old dead after hunting accident in Charlotte Co.

CHARLOTTE Co., Va. (WSET) — A 16-year-old male was accidentally shot and killed in a hunting accident Friday night, according to the Va. Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF).The Game…

The victim, according to VDGIF, was standing in an “agricultural field” and was shot from about 150 to 200 yards away.

The hunters were both wearing blaze orange gear, had taken hunter education, and had the appropriate hunting licenses, according to VDGIF.

Because the teens are minors, their names will not be released. The 17-year-old is from Cullen, Virginia, while the 16-year-old was from Phenix, Virginia.

The victim’s body was transported to the medical examiner’s office in Richmond. The incident remains under investigation by VDGIF.

Trump Meets With Al Gore on Climate Change

UPDATED 12:41 PM

President-elect Donald J. Trump and his daughter Ivanka met with former Vice President Al Gore on Monday to discuss human-caused climate change.

A meeting on climate change.

Continue reading the main story

Photo

Al Gore, the former vice president, arrived at Trump Tower in Manhattan on Monday.CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times

Al Gore thought he would be bending the ear of the adviser Mr. Trump trusts most, his daughter Ivanka.

Instead, the man bearing “The Inconvenient Truth” went straight to the source: the president-elect himself.

“I had a lengthy and very productive session with the president-elect,” Mr. Gore, the former vice president, told reporters at Trump Tower. “It was a sincere search for areas of common ground. I had a meeting beforehand with Ivanka Trump. The bulk of the time was with the president-elect, Donald Trump. I found it an extremely interesting conversation, and to be continued.”

Full Story: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/us/politics/donald-trump-transition.html?_r=0

Cat alerts Tennessee man to Gatlinburg fires

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/05/gatlinburg-fires-cat-alerts-man/94983594/

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — A Tennessee man who owns a store in Gatlinburg is so naturally laid back, the first word that wildfires were near the communitydidn’t unnerve him.

Mark Burger, 60, figured his cellphone would get an evacuation alert if the situation became dangerous, he said.

After inquiries, officials have since said no evacuation alert was sent to mobile devices.

Tennessee’s monthslong drought and wildfire emergency culminated Nov. 28 when hurricane-force winds sent unpredictable fires racing through the Gatlinburg area.

On Nov. 28, Burger was relaxing in his mountainside Gatlinburg condo with Tiger, his Siamese cat, for company. Burger’s son, Tanner, found Tiger as a kitten abandoned. Tanner rescued Tiger and gave him to Burger as a gift.

Now, it seems Tiger has repaid Burger for his life.

More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/05/gatlinburg-fires-cat-alerts-man/94983594/